SPICE KIT INGREDIENTS:
fennel, red pepper, cassia cinnamon, cumin, black cardamom, mace, chili pepper, green cardamom, clove, bay leaf.
YOU WILL ALSO NEED:
- 1 kg lamb / 1.5 kg chicken thighs
- 3 onions (300 g)
- 4 cm ginger (around 1 tbsp grated)
- 7 garlic cloves (around 1 tbsp grated)
- 6 tbsp yoghurt
- 8 tbsp oil
- 1-2 chilies (optional)
- basmati rice (for a side dish)
- Puree/grate 7 garlic cloves and 4 cm piece ginger.
- Cut 1 kg lamb to approximately equal bite size pieces. If using chicken thighs, leave them whole.
- Finely chop 3 medium onions (300g) and 1-2 chilies (if using).
- Brown the meat from all sides in 8 tbsp oil heated to average – high heat brown the meat from all sides. Take the meat out of the pan, lower the heat, and take the pan off the heat for 3-4 min. Return pan to heat and in the slightly cooled oil cook the contents of package №1 for 30-60 seconds.
- Add the chopped onion with a pinch of salt and cook until golden (about 20-25 min.), stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic, ginger and chopped chilies (if using) and cook 3-4 minutes.
- Return the meat to the pan along with all juices and mix well.
- Dissolve the contents of package №2 (and optionally package Chili) in 100 ml of water. Mix till homogeneous and pour in the pan.
- Wait 2-3 minutes before adding 6 tbsp well stirred yogurt and 400-500 ml of water.
- Cover with a lid and simmer till the meat is completely cooked:
- at least 40 min. for lamb or whole chicken thighs
- 20-25 min. for boneless chicken thighs
Serve with basmati rice.
* The above cooking times are approximate and may vary according to the thickness and material of your pan and the heat source.