SPICE KIT INGREDIENTS:
Cumin, smoked red pepper (pimenton), cassia cinnamon, oregano, thyme, chili pepper, bay leaf.
YOU WILL ALSO NEED:
- 400g minced/chopped meat (pork, beef, turkey)
- 1 onion (100 g)
- 5-6 garlic cloves
- 400ml tomatoes (tinned)
- 250ml wine or broth
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 fresh (or 4 roasted) red peppers
- two 400g cans red beans
- 6 tbsp oil
- 1-2 chilies (optional)
- fresh coriander (for garnishing)
- Finely chop 1 medium onion (100 g), 5-6 garlic cloves and 1-2 chilies (optional).
- Cut into bite size pieces 2 fresh or 4 roasted red peppers.
- In a heavy bottom pan heat 6 tbsp oil over medium heat. Add contents of package # 1 and cook for 30-60 seconds.
- Add the chopped onion with a pinch of salt and cook over medium heat for about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the garlic and chilies (if using) and 1 minute after them the meat. Increase the heat and stir thoroughly until the meat changes color and breaks down (around 10 minutes).
- Stir in the contents of package # 2 and package Chili (optional).
- Add 250ml of wine or broth and allow to boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 2 tbsp tomato puree, mix well and 2-3 minutes later add 400ml tomatoes, red peppers, 2 cans of beans, salt and water. Allow it to boil, cover and simmer for at least 60 minutes.
- Finally garnish with fresh coriander (optional).
Serve with basmati rice, guacamole, tortillas or nachos.
* The above cooking times are approximate and may vary according to the thickness and material of your pan, the heat source and the meat used.