SPICE KIT INGREDIENTS:
allspice, thyme, cassia cinnamon, black pepper, nutmeg, clove, chili pepper
YOU WILL ALSO NEED:
- 1.5 kg chicken thighs / 1 kg lamb
- 3 onions (300 g)
- 4 cm ginger (around 1 tbsp grated)
- 7 garlic cloves (around 1 tbsp grated)
- two 400g cans of tomatoes (or 1 kg raw tomatoes)
- 6 tbsp oil
- 3 tbsp yoghurt
- 1-2 chilies (optional)
- fresh coriander (optional)
- Basmati rice (as a side dish)
- Puree/grate 7 garlic cloves and 4 cm piece ginger.
- Cut 1 kg meat (skinless chicken or lamb) to approximately equal cubes of 2-3 cm for even cooking. If using chicken thighs, leave them whole.
- Finely chop 3 medium onions (300g) and 1-2 chilies (if using).
- Heat 6 tbsp oil over medium heat and add contents of package №1 for 30-60 seconds.
- Add the chopped onion with a pinch of salt and cook until golden (about 20-25 min.), stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic, ginger and chopped chillies (if using) and cook 3-4 minutes.
- Add the contents of package №2 (and optionally one or two packages Chili) and stir constantly 1 minute before adding two 400 g cans of tomatoes (or 1 kg fresh grated tomatoes).
- Once the tomatoes have simmered 15-20 min., add the meat and 3 tbsp well stirred yogurt. Add some salt, cover and simmer until the meat is completely cooked:
- at least 35 min. for whole chicken thighs;
- 15-20 min. for chicken breast;
- at least 40 min. for lamb.
- Add water if necessary.
- When meat is cooked add salt to taste.
- Remove from heat and garnish with fresh coriander (optional).
Serve with basmati rice or naan bread.
* The above cooking times are approximate and may vary according to the thickness and material of your pan and the heat source.