Mexican Chili is equally good with meat and vegetables. Today we’ll show you how to make it with sweet potatoes. It’s a must try 🙂
YOU WILL NEED:
- 750g – 1 kg sweet potatoes
- 1 medium onion (100g)
- 5-6 garlic cloves
- 400ml tomatoes (tinned)
- 250ml vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 fresh (or 4 roasted) red peppers
- two 400g cans red beans
- 6 tbsp oil
- 1-2 fresh chilies (optional)
- fresh coriander (for garnishing)
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Wash well the sweet potatoes and pat them dry. Cut into relatively equal bite-size pieces.
- Finely chop onion, garlic and chilies (if using).
- Cut into bite-size pieces the red peppers.
- Lay the sweet potatoes on a tray and bake 25 minutes in the already preheated oven. When ready leave aside till you need them.
- Heat 6 tbsp oil on medium.
- Add contents of package # 1 and cook for 30-60 seconds.
- Add the chopped onion with a pinch of salt and cook over medium heat for about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the garlic and chilies (if using) and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in the contents of package # 2 and package Chili (optional).
- Add the tomato puree, mix well and 2-3 minutes later add 250ml of vegetable broth, 400ml tomatoes, red peppers, 2 cans of beans, salt and water if needed.
- Allow it to boil, cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- Add the baked potatoes and mix.
- Finally garnish with fresh coriander (optional).
- Serve with guacamole and basmati rice.
We highly recommend that you see the video recipe before cooking: